Monday, July 8, 2013

Jason Collins' Ex-Fiancé Speaks

Two months after Jason Collins came out in a first-person interview in Sports Illustrated, his former fiancé Carolyn Moos did a first-person interview with Cosmo magazine. After an 8-year relationship and 1-year engagement, Collins called it off without giving a reason in 2009. She never heard from him again until a phone call last April:
"Jason told me he's gay over the phone on a Monday morning in April, the same day the magazine hit newsstands. However, he didn't mention the article—that came as a surprise when I heard about it from a friend. In his essay, Jason wrote that he'd once been engaged to a woman. Reporters zoomed in on me, thrusting my name into the news." 
Carolyn said Collins' promised he would discuss things further with her, but he hasn't ("I am sad that the media seems to be a higher priority"). She also addressed her current feelings for him:
"I empathize with Jason and support him. But at the same time, I remain deeply hurt by him. I wish he could have been honest with me years ago... He's being hailed as a pioneer, but I believe true heroism is a result of being honest with yourself and with those you love." 
Read Carolyn Moos' full interview at Cosmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment